In combination type of skin, some parts of the face are oil while other parts are dry. This means you have different types of skin on your face. Mostly the T-zone (forehead, nose, and chin) is oily whereas the rest of the area of the face is dry and flaky. In such type of skins, the possibility of acne, wrinkles, and breakouts is higher. Hence, it is very important to follow the correct skin care regime for combination skin.
The combination skin can be a result of using skin care products that contain ingredients that are not suitable for your otherwise normal skin. Harmful products can damage the skin and make it sensitive. Genetics also pay a role in having combination skin.
It is very tough to maintain a combination skin as it may involve using different products in different areas of the skin.
Here are some tips to care for your combination skin:
- Cleansing: Use a mild cleanser for your skin. Wash your face once in a day with the cleanser and before going to bed. Avoid using soap bars as it will dry and irritate your skin further.
- Toning: Once you cleansed your face, apply an alcohol-free toner to the face. Toners help repair the skin damage. Use toners that are high in skin repairing ingredients. You can also use a serum if your skin is very dry in some areas.
- Moisturizing: After you apply the toner, apply a moisturizer to your face. It is very important to use an oil free moisturizer on the T-zone and a rich creamy moisturizer on the dry areas of the face. In some cases, the toner is sufficient for the T-zone and no moisturizing is required. Use of oil-free moisturizer helps to slow down the oil secretion in the T-zone. Whereas using a creamy or hydrating moisturizer keeps the skin hydrated and moisturized enough to maintain the oil secretion.
- Sun Protection: The next and an essential step include protecting the skin from the sun. The UV sun rays can cause many skin problems like dryness, wrinkles, aging, etc. Use a sunscreen with SPF 30 which is not too oily for the combination skin.
- Exfoliation: Exfoliation helps in removing the dead skin cells from the skin. Use products that contain Alpha Hydroxy Acid for exfoliating the skin. AHA has been in use for years for rejuvenating the skin and regaining your original healthy skin.
- Make up: Care has to be taken while applying makeup on a combination skin. You need to apply the toner and moisturizer to the dry areas before applying makeup. Use a primer on the dry areas and an oil-free foundation on the face. Remove the makeup before going to bed by using a makeup remover for combination skin, followed by a gentle cleanser.
- Eating & Drinking: Eating the right food also helps in the skin care. Include lots of fruits, vegetables, and fluids in your diet to keep the skin hydrated. Drink at least 3 liters of water every day and include fruit juices & vegetable soups in your diet.